5th Borneo International Beads Conference
The 5th Borneo International Beads Conference(BIBCo), entitled ‘Our Universal Beads’, will take place in Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia, on 13-15 October 2017. The conference takes place in the context of the What About Kuching Festival 2017, a month-long celebration of local arts, culture and lifestyle.
The conference celebrates the bead culture of Sarawak, part of a greater Malaysian heritage, rooted in centuries of tradition. An ancient maritime trading network linked Sarawak to the world; the beads most treasured today came from production centres on the Malay Peninsula, India, China and even further afield.
In the hands of Sarawak’s craftswomen and collectors, these masterpieces of the glassmaker’s art became intrinsically ‘Borneo Beads.’
The 5th Borneo International Beads Conference links this indigenous tradition with the bead cultures of the world. The programme includes
- Papers presented by leading bead researchers, printed in the BIBCo Journal 2017;
- Beads Abuzz, the international Bead Bazar;
- Lamp Bead-making workshop;
- Polymer clay beadmaking workshop;
- Paper beadmaking workshop;
- Natural fibre beadmaking workshop;
- Native American beadworking techniques workshop; and
- Borneo indigenous bead-working techniques workshop.
Among the confirmed speakers are experts from Australia, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Netherlands, Nigeria, Singapore, Thailand, and the USA.
Date: October 13, 2017 – October 15, 2017
Venue: The Waterfront Hotel, Kuching
Organizer: Crafthub Sdn. Bhd.